Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hungry for The Hunger Games!

All I want to do at this moment in time is read the third book of The Hunger Games Trilogy. It is taking every possible restraint in my body to not stop typing this and pick up the book. The trilogy is really getting in the way of my life and I really need to start doing some important things (like planning my spring break trip!!)

Here are some highlights of this week:

Tuesday, March 20th
For my infections and disease class, I finally had my FIRST assignment of the term (mind you classes end next week). Basically I had to present in front of two professors a poster about the progression of the west nile virus (WNV) in the USA. Yes, a poster. Like I am in 5th grade. Anyways, the presentation went off without a hitch. Why? Because the final year class that is based on diseases does not require any real knowledge of biology. I blew the professors out of the water, as I described how WNV was a positive strand RNA flavivirus. Their faces almost screamed of, “How is she supposed to know that?!” Ugh, I also had to describe to them different knockout techniques for gene research. What am I in? Freshman year of college?! As you could guess, I got very high marks on the damn poster. Now I have to prepare for my three hour, hand written, final exam in May! Yipppppppppiiiieee!

Wednesday, March 21st
Wednesday was so beautiful that I wanted to just skip my 5-hour class and just wander around in some park. I withheld and instead suffered through classes in which taught us how to prevent ‘burnout in the medical field.’ Okay, please…Let me get into medical school first before I even start thinking about burnout. As you could predict, the lecture was super depression. I couldn’t even look outside at the beautiful weather to keep me occupied since the windows had stuff covering them. Like, what?!
Spring is here at Tabard Gardens!
People relaxing on the green at Guy's Campus
Beautiful day at Trafalgar Square!
My exam schedule was also released on Wednesday. My final exams are scheduled for May 24, 28, 29. So basically I have two months off before I take my first exam. Yes, mommm, I will study, but it definitely gives me a little more time to travel. I want to take some day trips around England and hit up Scotland at one point. Maybe even Wales if I’m lucky.  Also, this means I won’t be home until really late May or early June. I need to decide if I want to be here for the Queen’s Jubilee parade on June 5th soon because I need to book my ticket home! Lastly, this means I will be home for Laura’s graduation. Hazzah!

Thursday, March 22nd
Thursday consisted of my most despised class, Tissue Pathology. I am pretty sure the main lecturer is my archenemy even though we have never actually interacted…I’M OUT TO GET YOU IAN! Mark my words…

Anyway, I am pretty sure everyone has just given up on this class. Granted, it is early Thursday morning right after Wednesday, which is the night to go out (AKA- everyone is hung-over and doesn’t go to class). Out of a class of maybe 200 people, only 75 of us were there. I am so0o happy I woke up at 8 AM for this…

Afterwards, I met up some friends at the main Strand Campus and we go to Chipolte for lunch. I was not surprised when I found out that everyone behind the counter was American, but I was surprised when I was forced to wait 25 minutes for my burrito. I just gotta have my fix!!

From there, we took a bus to the Borough of Chelsea. We walked Kensington, Kennington, and Chelsea to pretend like we were rich. The houses are not anything too special, but the rank in price from 18 million to 88 million pounds. 88 MILLION POUNDS. Some driveways even have lasers on them, so they track when someone walks by. Cameras were everywhere. Compared to the rest of the city, it was super quiet and well groomed. I felt like I was on a BMW lot since EVERY car there a BMW. I would walk down the road going, “I’ll take that BMW, that BMW, that BMW, that Mercedes, that Aston Martin, that BMW, that BMW, that Rolls Royce, annnnd that BMW!” I got to play Paris Hilton for a day. I also saw more Rolls Royce and Lamborghinis than I have in my whole entire life. We walked to the (famous?) Kings Road and got a pint at a really nice pub called “The Goat that Wears Boots.” I guess in such a nice area the restaurants need to be ‘hip’ and ‘weirdly’ named.
Kennington
Kennington  

Chelsea
Chelsea
Chelsea
That night I WENT TO SEE THE OPENING OF THE HUNGER GAMES FILM. Going to the cinema is a treat here since it is so expensive, but we paid up and at 8 PM (BEFORE AMERICA!!) got to see the movie. IT WAS SO INTENSE. I held my breath for like 2 hours straight. I cried…I cried so hard. My friend was just handing me tissues the whole time. I then proceeded to get obsessed with the film, download all three books, and download the soundtrack for the film.

Friday, March 23rd
Today was dedicated to reading the Hunger Games. I started the first book at 10:30 AM (during my class…oops) and finished it at 5 PM that day. Granted I took some breaks to eat, do some work, go to Borough Market…but most of the time was spent on my bed reading. Yes, I cried some more. I don’t know why I cried so much since the book is not life changing. It’s just a pulp novel about ‘overcoming the man’ with a twist of romance that rivals Twilight’s. The thing is that it is just soooo addicting. I even forgot to eat dinner I was so into the book...and THAT says a lot!

After finishing the first book, I proceeded to start the second one. I was supposed to go out to this party that the university threw called “F*ck Me It’s Easter!” (classy right?) But instead I opted to stay in and read. I guess that is just who I am. I rather sit on my bed, drink Earl Grey tea, and read a damn good book than get foamed on while surrounded by 18 year olds. Ugh, I am a 40 year old trapped in a 20 year old’s body.

Well the good news is that I finished the second book at 4 AM and then proceeded to go to sleep. The second movie is going to be HELLA good since the arena is cool for the 75th Hunger Games (you’ll just have to read it to figure out what I mean!!!)

Saturday, March 24th
Today I woke up and went with a friend back to Portobello Market. I bought a really cheap pair of shoes and he bought a ton of antiques ranging from an old working camera to first edition original Spiderman comics. I almost bought a really old copy of Lord of the Rings, but I withheld.

I am now currently taking time out of my day to write this INSTEAD OF READING THE THIRD AND FINAL BOOK! AHH! Will Katniss save Peeta? Who will she choose to love? What will happen to the capitol? SO MANY QUESTIONS AND SO LITTLE TIME!!

Well, back into the future apoctoplyic world that is currently in a revolution!

Also, fun fact- this week I had curried chicken a minimum of 4 times. It is just so good!

Last thing...here are some eggs for ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment