Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dinner and a Show Part 2


Today was quite a busy day for this kid.

This morning I had to wake up early in order make it on time to shadowing the GP for the second time. I was shadowing with another girl in my class who goes to Cornell. After waiting for Dr. Mitra for around 20 minutes, he informed us that he quadruple booked students to watch him. This means he handed us to off to another GP. This GP was a young Indian man, who was much more interesting and fun than Dr. Mitra. Our new doctor was Dr. Patel and he let us sit in with him for the next three hours.

None of the patients were supremely memorable. Once again, I extremely enjoyed watching the Dr. Patel interact with his patients. While none of the patients had serious problems (in my eyes), they had interesting stories. The first patients were a mother and daughter from Senegal. The daughter had to translate for the mother the whole time, which made the meeting a little difficult. The pair mentioned how they previously went to a private Senegal doctor. After they left, Dr. Patel mentioned how he could not really trust anything this private doctor said partly because he was uncertain what made this “Senegal doctor” oh so different. That and the fact that the doctor provided the patients with no paperwork with the blood test he ordered the mother to get.

The next patient was a small Indian woman, who came in speaking Hindi right off the bat. Dr. Patel, who speaks Hindi, went through the whole consultation speaking the language. In the end he translated the whole conversation for us. It was actually super cool just sitting there with no idea what was going on. I was impressed that he could practice medicine properly into two languages.

Dr. Patel said that this practice especially had a lot of foreigners and that most of them are really poor at English. He said they usually bring their own translators, but sometimes they need to use a translator over the phone, which is always a hassle.


At night, the American gang went to see a play called “All New People.” It was written by Scrubs star Zach Braff and he also stars in it. It takes place in Long Beach Island. I was super excited to see it since I love Zach Braff and I love New Jersey. To be honest, the only good part about the play was the continuous Jewish jokes that only I got. Oh, and the fact that we had a nice dinner out before the play wasn’t too shabby either. The play was full of one-liners and its attempt to be ‘deep’ and ‘meaningful’ left it as feeling fake and forced. Even Zach Braff was awkward and flat.
 


















To make matters worse, since we are cheap, our 15 pounds seat were in the upper balcony and half the stage was cut off. I can’t complain since I really wouldn’t have wanted to pay any more.
Note how half the stage is just missing from view.
Zach Braff on stage!
Zach Braff from where we were sitting.
I mean - I am happy I ended up seeing it since I love Zach Braff and I love plays. It was cheap seats and I got to go with friends, so that is all that mattered!
The Theatre
Thanks for reading & hear are some eggs for ya!


No comments:

Post a Comment