Sunday, February 5, 2012

Snow in London!

Exciting News! It snowed! This is my first and most likely only snow of the season, but it is still great nonetheless. It has been super cold outside, so almost everyone I know had a lazy day that consisted of tea and naps. Around 8 PM though, we started to notice flurries outside. The flurries turned into a good fall of snow and it started sticking to the ground! As a person who gets a good amount of snow each year, this was a normal occurrence, but for the Brits, it was the snowpocalypse!!

Crazy snow in front of the London Bridge.
I got a text from a friend Zach around 10:30 PM asking if I wanted to go on a walk in the snow with him, so of course I said yes. We decided to walk to Tower Bridge and what a walk that turned out to be. It really wasn't that cold, so I was able to get by in my underarmor, hat, gloves, and jacket. The city in the snow is literally gorgeous. Everything that was just blah before is transformed into a winter wonderland and I was so happy to be outside experiencing it. I didn't ever want to go in to be honest. 

One of the best things was the random snow ball fights. At one point, Zach and I were walking by the London Bridge tube stop station and noticed a group of [adult-ish] men across the street from the tube throwing snowballs into the tube exit. While they did not hit people every time, it was hilarious seeing people freak out when something zoomed by their head. When the snowball did hit someone, a guy would yell in his thick British accent "Sowwwwyyyy." So basically, it was these guys have target practice on poor cold strangers and to make up for the fact they were nailing them, they hoped to sound innocent by yelling "Sowwwyyy." 

Zach basking in the snow near the River Thames
Zach and I decided to retaliate for these poor strangers and got into an 'across the street' snowball fight with a group of those guys. It turned into a hilarious sight due to the fact that (a) I cannot throw (b) Zach has awful aim. The best part of this was the guys across the street yelling "to the left!" or "a little bit higher!" People saw us and decided to join in. We were gaining forces and it became a fair fight. At one point Zach and I decided to leave the fight and instead throw snowballs at the upper level of the double decker buses that passed us. The surprise and shock on people's faces as a snowball hit the glass near their faces was priceless. Okay, fine...we were being immature. I will admit it! But I swear we weren't the only ones!

By the time we got back, a group of people got together in my room and we had tea time at 12:00 AM. 
That is how it is done in the UK. To change the words of Jimmy Buffet..."It must be tea time SOMEWHERE!"

Now in the morning, it has stopped snowing, but the snow is still on the ground. Everyone is hoping that classes are canceled Monday because the city can't plow the streets. I don't understand places like this...I guess I am just "northeaster spoiled" in that sense when I always had school in the snow! Anyways, hopefully it may flurry again as the sky looks white and heavy. That's what I'm hoping for! I'll keep ya'll updated!
Zach and I enjoying the snow near Tower Bridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment