Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Casual Week in London


Just a calm week here in London with nothing much to report. Most of this week was a recovery from Paris, as I caught up on sleep and tried to preserve my money. Also, it has become freezing here, so a lot less is being done outside and we are just relaxing in our dorm. It is a little bit funny when I check the weather at home at it is 65 degrees Fahrenheit and its 27 degrees here.  It is supposed to snow here tomorrow and I am super excited. Let’s see if it even hits an inch!

While it is super cold, I was able to get a nice walk in. Friends and I got some tea at a really cute tea place near the Strand Campus of Kings College. After tea, I dropped my friends off at class and began my loop around London. I started at Strand, walked to Covenant Garden, to Leicester Square, to Trafalgar Square, to Buckingham Palace, through St. James Park, to Parliament, and then tubed it home. The walk was nice, though cold, and I got to see the ‘touristy’ sites while they aren’t crowded. A funny site was seeing the mailmen get acceptance into Buckingham Palace. Just seeing him casually walk in to the Palace made me potentially quit school and join the royal mail.
My loop

Buckingham Palace on a slow day

St. James Park
My friend's performance
While we went nowhere big this week, we got to see a friend perform at an open mic night in London. There is a pub right down the street from us that has live music every Thursday night. My friend got asked to perform and hoped onto the opportunity. Fun to watch him perform!

Other highlights include joining a really posh gym like 2 blocks from my house. I was so excited by my first lift that I e-mailed my athletic trainer from Haverford. This is how our conversation went:

My initial e-mail:
“Hey Cory- So, Trevor and I today splurged and officially joined this really posh gym in London. When I started my lift today, I noticed that this gym not only had dynadiscs, roll out foams, but it also had TRX BANDS!!!!! I literally made me tear up a little with excitement. It even had machines to do underhand rows, so I don't need to hide in a corner as I do them. The hardest part about the lift is figuring out the weight since everything is in kilograms rather than pounds.

If you have ever seen Dodgeball (which I really hope you have...), this place is basically Globo-Gym. The walls are plastered with sayings such as "Train Hard, Look Great" and pictures of half nude tan people posing with weights while wearing bikinis. I can even take a cardio class called "Cheerobics."

I hope all is well and that Haverford athletics (especially field hockey...) are being exceptional athletes!
- Sydney “

His response:
“Love it!  Make sure you get your cleans & snatches in, don't just do bi's all day

- Cory”

The youtube link takes you to a clip from the movie Dodgeball, which is specifically about the gym Globo-Gym I was talking about.
This e-mail totally made my week.

Lastly, I finally received my student oyster card, which means I will get my monthly passes for cheaper!! Now that it is getting colder, public transportation is a life savior.

Have fun with the warm weather at home!
- Sydney 
The gang says hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment