Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Sunburnt in London?!

I think nice weather has finally hit London for good. I don't want to jinx it, but today it was almost 75 degrees. Basically when the sun is out, Londoners flock out of their homes and just strip down to minimal clothing in order to take in some sun. If there is sun, every park in London is full and no one is being productive.

I did work in the morning and then went on the weekly group date to our Indian buffet for lunch. While I had planned on being productive in the afternoon, it was just too nice to go back to my room and do work. I took my work to the park behind my dorm called Tabard Gardens and sat with some friends. 

Living in London, I have learned that I am culturally ambiguous. People that I look Spanish, Italian, Jewish, annnnd mostly Middle Eastern. This is a prime example: So, I am sitting in the gardens listening to my music and this older woman walks up and literally sets up camp right next to me. I thought nothing of it, but she suddenly started talking to me. I had to take my earphones out to understand her, but when I did I realized she was talking to me in Arabic! It took me a couple seconds and then I replied that I don't speak Arabic. Well as it turns out, the Middle Eastern woman is taking English classes and needed help on her homework. I ended up basically helping this woman cheat on her homework since I ended up doing all the writing. Anyways, in the end she thanked me in her broken english and swore she "thought I was a Muslim girl." I wasn't offended, but more confused. Maybe it is the fact that I haven't gotten my eyebrows done in a while? I'm darker than usual? Whatever, that was not the first nor the last time I will be told I look Middle Eastern.

Obviously being in the gardens with friends meant I was not going to be productive at all. Which is just GREAT given that my first final is Thursday. That being said, I had one of the best days in a while. After being cooped up in my room being slightly depressed/lacking Vitamin D, it was nice being outside with friends. A big group of us started to accumulate, which was nice since people are starting to leave and I want to make sure I spend time with everyone before we all separate. A couple hours later we headed to the Roebuck Pub for a drink and to soak up more sun. 

When I got back to my room, I realized that I had gotten burnt! This is laughable due to the fact that there is almost NO sun in England and the one time I venture outside, I get some color. I mean, I LOVE it since I am the most pasty EVER. I am giving a presentation on medical cannabis tomorrow for a class, so I decided to bake brownies for my class. (Get it?) Hopefully they like them/the joke.

I actually just got back from a local pub. Most of my flatmates are done and we want to spend as much time possible together before I leave. Next week we are planning on going to an amusement park right outside of London as a flat! Can't wait!....I just need to survive this next week....

Here is an accumulation of pictures of where I live/the sun today!
The Saturday Flower Market in Shoreditch.
All plants go for a 'fiver!'
The Saturday Flower Market in Shoreditch. 
The Saturday Flower Market in Shoreditch. 
The Saturday Flower Market in Shoreditch. 
The Saturday Flower Market in Shoreditch. 
A plaque commemorating the original Shakespeare Globe Theater.
The original globe is about half a mile away from the
one on the Thames now.
Walking down Borough almost at Great Dover Street.  
Tabard Street! Also known as Stab-ard Street. It runs
behind my dorm and has the park along it.
Walking back to my dorm on Tabard Street.
On Tabard Street. On the left is the park. On the near right is
estate housing and in the distance on the right
is my dorm.
An apartments neighborhood right next to my dorm.
Once a week, we indulge.
The workers know our name now. It's scary.
The Blue Eyed Maid - a pub on the bottom floor and the Indian restaurant/buffet
on the second floor. At night (every night), the pub turns into a karaoke bar.
Mostly adults go to the Blue Eye Maid and are always awful at singing.
Friends lounging in Tabard Gardens.
Tabard Gardens with The Shard in the distance.
Tom and I in the park.
Tabard Gardens right behind my dorm.
SEE THAT WHITE DOG IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PICTURE.
That dog is in Tabard Park EVERY DAY and I see it ALWAYS
when I walk to class. It is the happiest dog I've ever seen (except for Simmy)
 and is so well behaved. I NEED TO MEET THIS DOG BEFORE I LEAVE.
Some of the group in Tabard Gardens.
The London Bridge and the 'City of London' borough at night.
I splurged and bought the special Diamond Jubilee Magazine (seen on left).
It was super expensive, but necessary...obviously?

No comments:

Post a Comment