Friday, January 20, 2012

A Week of Firsts

Happy Friday everyone! I am currently writing this after eating my home cooked chicken tikka masala. I am very proud of my cooking and I would be asking for recipes from home, if that didn’t mean I had to convert all the measurements over to the metric system.

This week was exhilarating and it is not over yet….but I shall come to that later!
I wish everyone could meet my flat because they are all awesome. I live with 4 guys and 3 other girls. Their majors range from biomedical (like me) to English literature to history to business and management. I must say I am very lucky since most study abroad students I have talked to say that they don’t know anyone in their flat or are only friends with Americans. Well, not me! I have my own personal Brits taking me around London, teaching me the lingo, and helping meet assimilate into British culture. Also, since my flat is abnormally nice/big, my flatmates always have their friends come over here, so I have been able to meet a lot of different people with a lot of different accents. I must say the Cambridge British accent is ‘lush’ and professional, while the Northern Manchester accent is impossible to understand. On the flip side, I have been told that my American accent is rubbish and that they cannot understand me. Along that note, my flatmate has informed me that Americans don’t properly use sarcasm and that British humor is better. I will leave that one open to debate.

There have been some culture misunderstandings on both sides in which hilarity always ensues. These are examples of question that my flatmates and other Brits have asked me-
“Do you guys all live like the show Friends?”
“Does everyone dislike the south? I mean, that Rick Perry guy…”
“Is your life like Gilmore Girls?”

Questions that I have stupidly asked always seem to make sense at the time and then with reflection make me realize that I am a typical American. Examples-
“Do you have squirrels here?”
“Have 3D movies come to London yet?”
Not my proudest moments.

It has been fun to explain ‘Kosher’ to my flatmates and other Brits. Coincidental, one flatmate is named Oren and is Jewish. But according to him he is “not that Jewish...really…at all.”
This was the conversation in which I discovered that in America, we would be considered a super Jew.
“Hey Oren, are you having a Seder for Passover?” – Sydney
“I mean…we are not really religious, but yeah.” – Oren
“Oh! I have been looking for a Seder to come to this year…” – Sydney
“Well I am actually going to be in Israel for my Seder.” – Oren
“Israel?” – Sydney
“Yeah, that’s where my grandparents live. We go multiple times a year.” – Oren
“Lucky.” – Sydney
“Yeah. I mean after they survived Auschwitz they just immigrated over there like most other Jews.” – Oren
“That’s really interesting” – Sydney
“Yeah I mean… I speak fluent Hebrew…but I am not religious at all. Nope, not Jewish really…” – Oren

Sorry sir, but in the states, people would consider you prettttty Jewish for just knowing how to speak Hebrew.

Sorry for digressing, but back to the Kosher topic. My flatmates had never head of this ‘Kosher’ thing and, like every gentile out there, is fascinated with our ancient laws. Now I get the continual question of “Is this Kosher?...What about this? What about that?”

My other flatmates are interesting in their own way. One guy named Toby embodies British humor. He was the one who informed me that Americans were not funny and then proceeded to spout the driest jokes ever.
Thomas, who shares a wall with me, blares music at all times. While this would usually be annoying, all of his music is AMAZING and I just end up stealing it. I am slowly falling in love with British music.
Jade grew up in Paris, but has American parents. The other notable girl is Emma, who is an amazing cook and fashionista. (Today is actually her 19th birthday!)

Classes are really whatever and have become a nuisance. I mean I goooo to them and they are always interesting, but that is 2.5 hours I could be spending on Piccadilly Street or Sloane Square.

Highlights of my week:
  1. Running with Zach. I have always wanted to run over the Tower Bridge and see the Tower of London at night. Check!
  2. Going ‘clubbing’ on a Wednesday night. It would have been much more fun if it wasn’t super expensive. Clubbing is an expensive hobby and I just can't support that lifestyle. I don’t know when the next time that will happen. Also, fun fact: the tube closes at 12:30 AM and if you don’t understand the bus system- be prepared to walk. My group of friends and I had a nice hour and a half walk back to our dorm. It was a long walk, but London is quiet and beautiful at night.
The building is my guide home.
  1. Taking my flatmates to Chipolte for the first time! Chipolte is a Mexican burrito restaurant and has a cult following at Haverford. When I found out where it was in London, I knew I had to go. The guys in my flat decided they wanted to try it too after I attempted to explain what Mexican food was. I didn’t realize it would be that difficult to describe the difference between a burrito and a taco. It made me very happy when the guys told me that the burrito “really wasn’t that bad” and that they “would come back.” Side note: Being the American that I am, I did not appreciate the burrito size that this Chipolte offered. I did not get my normal ‘baby sized burrito.’ Instead I got a normal portion size…ugh! Also, the Brits were confused when I ordered 'chips and guac,' but instead of 'chips,' I got tortillas. Cultural differencessss.
Had to get the chips and guac. Go big or go home.
  1. Going to Kings Cross station to see station 9 ¾.
[Funny story about going to Kings Cross. I was actually meaning to go to Strand Campus, but after transferring through the Moorgate stop, I realized that the train I needed to get on was down. THAT is why you do not have earphones in on the tube. While I sat at Moorgate for 30 minutes reading Lord of the Rings, I actually could have been listening to the announcements made by the loudspeaker telling me that I 'must find an alternative route.' Igave up on Strand and chose a new destination. I chose Kings Cross.]
Let the magic begin.
  1. Speaking of Harry Potter things- A major highlight was finding out that one of my best friends, Chris Gall, booked her tickets to come visit me over her spring break! AHHH!!!
  2. A friend studying in Berlin told me I could stay with her when I visit. SO I must book those tickets PRONTO!
  3. Taking a solo walking tour of London. I love getting lost and that is exactly what happened. I found myself in the middle of Occupy London where everyone was hearing Guy Fawkes masks. While the location smelled like urine, I still enjoyed getting lectured about how capitalism is the Antichrist.
Occupy London directly outside of St. Paul's Cathedral.
  1. ONE OF THE BEST MOMENTS! Was getting a tour of Soho, which is basically where all the gay clubs are here. While I hear the gay clubs are the best of clubs, I must go back another day to give a personal account. While there we ran into a friendly group of Christians handing out tea and cupcakes (which were actually from a really famous bakery). As we enjoyed our free delights, we were informed that Jesus loved his prostitutes and that is why it was only proper that the church set up camp in the gay square of soho. The moment I finished my cupcake came at a great time, as it was the same time the man asked me “if I was a Christian.” I calmly responded with “oh! My friends are leaving….I have to go, but thank you!” We found out that they hand out cupcakes every Thursday in Soho, so that may become my new stomping ground. I love my Hummingbird Bakery Cupcakes.
The public urinals in Soho. When I asked why they were there, the boys responded with, "It is better than peeing on the buildings." Touche.
  1. 80s dance clothing shopping. Tonight is a 80s themed dance and I plan on wearing my high top Nikes that my mother hates (but the rest of the world loves).

I am off to get my 80s outfit on as I listen to “Come on Eileen.”
Haverford beat Swarthmore in basketball for the 9th time in a row.
Erica completed her comps.
All is well in the world. 

Sending everyone love from Borough Station.

1 comment:

  1. 1. You are truly a Hyder...getting lost in cities and enjoying the sights
    2. Chipotle and you..perfect together
    3. You are right, I don't like the Nike's but have fun!

    ReplyDelete